Sophia - 10.2 oz (290 g) - March 5, 2000
Sophia's mother, 30-year old Tracy Wisdom, was at a routine appointment three months before her due date when an ultrasound revealed the baby was not growing. Tracy, had an autoimmune disease that affects the placenta. She underwent a Caesarean section March 5.
Sophia Epiphany Louise Wisdom weighed 10.2 ounces (290 grammes) when she was born 15 weeks early - at birth (in 2000) she was the second smallest newborn infant in the U.S.A.
The baby was born smaller than doctors expected - half the size of average babies at that gestational age. But weight isn't as critical as developmental maturity, said Dr. Edward Bell, professor of pediatrics at the University of Iowa.
Update March 5, 2001:
Sophia celebrates her first birthday
The smallest infant to survive in Oregon wakes up with a winning smile that seems endless. She weighs almost 14 pounds - a 2,000-percent increase over when she was born a year ago today.
"She's a little fighter. Right from the start ... she was a strong baby and did so well," said Dr. Kari Smart, her pediatrician at Kaiser Permanente Tualatin clinic.
Most neonatologists tell families that babies less than 24 weeks will not survive. And for babies born at 25 weeks, one-third can expect to have developmental delays and face cerebral palsy, blindness and learning disabilities, said Dr. Ronald Sklar, Sophia's neonatologist based at Providence St. Vincent Medical Center.
"My greatest worry was her developmental skills," Sklar said. But though she is still small next to her peers she is walking and talking, Sophia's coordination, ability to pick up objects and social interaction rivals other 12-month-olds.
Sophia's parents have had a tough year, mom is sick and dad isn't working but are so happy they have an amazing, lovely daughter.
Small babies - Low Birth Weight (LBW) or (SGA)
Small for gestational age (SGA) babies are those whose birth weight lies below the 10th percentile for that gestational age. Low birth weight (LBW), is sometimes used to define a baby that weighs less than 5 lb 8 oz (2500 g) regardless of gestational age. One third of babies born with a low birth weight are also small for gestational age.
Other definitions include Very Low Birth Weight (VLBW) which is less than 3 lb 5 oz (1500 g), and Extremely Low Birth Weight (ELBW) which is less than 2 lb 3 oz (1000 g).
About 10 percent of fetuses are low birth weight. A health care provider may suspect fetal growth restriction if the mother's uterus measurement (fundal height) is lower than expected. This can be confirmed with a series of ultrasounds that will monitor how quickly the fetus is growing.
The main causes for Low Birth Weight:
The two main causes of LBW are early delivery, also known as preterm birth, and poor fetal growth. About 70% of all LBW babies are born preterm - before 37 completed weeks of pregnancy. The remaining 30% of low birth weight babies are born at full term, but did not grow properly in the womb.
More Information on...
Some of the world's lowest birth weight babies
In the table below are some of the many Low Birth Weight babies born around the world. These tiny babies when born; many weeks premature, weighed less than a can of soda.
If you liked this page, please share it, or give it a Like, +1, Tweet, or Pin.